London, United Kingdom – November 14th, 2019: Shell has today announced that it will support SkyNRG to develop Europe’s first dedicated sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) production plant.
The development of the DSL-01 production plant in Delfzijl, Netherlands, is led by SkyNRG, a global market leader for SAF and a long-term strategic partner of Shell Aviation. Shell will bring its technical and commercial expertise to the development of the plant, and through participation in the project will secure the option to purchase sustainable aviation fuel produced at the facility.
“Shell Aviation are proud to be part of the DSL-01 project: this first dedicated plant is a crucial milestone in accelerating the supply of sustainable aviation fuels in Europe and will contribute to a reduction in emissions in the aviation sector” commented Anna Mascolo, Vice President Shell Aviation. “When it comes to carbon emissions, the aviation industry needs collaboration amongst industry players, it needs support to drive technical innovation and investments, and last but not least it needs a multiple set of solutions that help drive a faster transition to a net zero emissions world. At Shell we have started the journey, although we recognise there is a lot more to do to avoid, reduce and offset carbon emissions.”
The DSL-01 production facility is on schedule for commissioning in 2024*, representing the earliest dedicated commercial supply of sustainable aviation fuel to the aviation market in Europe. The plant will annually produce 100,000 tonnes of sustainable aviation fuel, corresponding to a reduction in lifecycle CO2 equivalent emissions of approximately 270,000 tonnes. The plant will also produce naphtha, and 15,000 tonnes of bioLPG annually as a by-product. Earlier, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines has committed itself for a 10-year period to the development and purchase of 75,000 tonnes of sustainable aviation fuel a year.
The feedstocks used for production will be waste and residue streams, such as used cooking oil, sourced predominantly from regional industries. The facility will run on sustainable hydrogen, produced local to the site in the Groningen Seaport. The combined benefits of the feedstocks, sustainable hydrogen, and use of low carbon energy to power production, will contribute to the production of sustainable aviation fuel with lifecycle carbon emissions approximately 85% lower than conventional jet fuels, as estimated by the Roundtable on Sustainable Biomaterials.
Maarten van Dijk, Managing Director of SkyNRG, added: “This is an important project for the development of the sustainable aviation fuel market, and with its global operational experience and technical expertise, Shell is a natural partner to help accelerate its progress. The shared ambitions and collaborative approach of the companies involved sends a strong signal to the rest of our industry of the actions required to deliver a sustainable future for aviation.”
ABOUT SHELL AVIATION
- With one of the most extensive refuelling networks in the world suppling fuels and lubricants at about 900 airport locations, operating across 60+ countries, Shell Aviation’s customers range from private pilots to the world’s largest airlines. Its diverse range of world-class fuels, lubricants and services to all aircraft types includes jet fuel and avgas for turbine engine and piston engine aircraft operators respectively, as well as its AeroShell® range of engine oils, fluids and greases.
- At Shell Aviation we trade more jet fuel than almost anyone else in the world. Our world-class supply chain has been built to ensure that wherever we serve our customers, they can count on a secure supply of quality fuel. We pride ourselves on operational efficiency and are constantly looking for new and better ways to give our customers more time flying.
- Shell Aviation strives to be a leader in the transition to low carbon aviation fuels and pursues a strategy of avoid, reduce and offset to manage carbon emissions for its customers.
- Further information can be found on Shell Aviation.
- SkyNRG is global market leader for sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) solutions. Having supplied over 30 airlines on all continents, it is our mission to make SAF the new global standard. SkyNRG was founded by KLM, Spring Associates and EME to develop the market for Sustainable Aviation Fuel.
- SkyNRG sources, blends and distributes SAF, guarantees sustainability throughout the supply chain and helps to co-fund any price gap over conventional jet fuel. At the same time, SkyNRG focuses on developing regional SAF supply chains e.g., our own dedicated SAF production plant, DSL-01, that offer a real sustainable and affordable alternative to fossil fuels.
- To ensure we make the right decisions regarding the sustainability of our operations, projects and products, SkyNRG is structurally advised by anindependent Sustainability Board, which includes representatives from WWF International, the European Climate Foundation, Solidaridad Network and the University of Groningen. Also, SkyNRG’s operations are certified by the Roundtable on Sustainable Biomaterials (RSB), the highest possible certification standard for sustainable fuels.
- For further information, visit SkyNRG
SkyNRG Media Relations
T: +31 20 470 70 20